Diazepam is a benzodiazepine medication that is FDA approved for anxiety management. This article will encompass the mechanism of action, adverse events profile, FDA-approved and off-label uses, dosing guidelines, monitoring, and relevant information related to diazepam to help the patients as well as the health care providers who deal with this drug.
Diazepam, Classification And Trade Name:
Diazepam a benzodiazepine Sleeping pill UK that was initially manufactured and marketed with the brand name of valium is a drug that belongs to the long-acting benzodiazepine group of anxiolytics. It is a drug that has a rapid onset of action and long-lasting effects. It is used to treat a large number of anxiety related issues which will be enlisted in the upcoming headings.
Indications For Prescribing Diazepam:
Therapeutic indications for using diazepam are as follows:
- Management of anxiety disorders.
- Short-term management of panic disorders.
- Treating chronic sleeplessness
- Alcohol withdrawal syndrome
- Also effectively cures depression.
- Used in conjunction of other drugs to treat muscular spasms.
- As an anxiety reduction measure given pre-operatively to the patients.
- Refractory epilepsy cases
- Is one of the drug regimens used to treat status epilepticus.
- It is also used to sedate patients in the ICU settings but it is not FDA approved for this purpose.
- Used off-label to reduce spasticity in children having cerebral palsy.
How Diazepam Works (Mechanism of Action):
The basic mechanism of action of diazepam is by enhancing the effect of GABA in the central nervous system of the human body. GABA or gamma-aminobutyric acid is the chemical neurotransmitter that calms the electrical agility of the brain. It can be summed as, by using Diazepam one can calm his nerves and brain. As Diazepam can cause drowsiness, people can use it in place of other over-the-counter sleeping pills like melatonin and anti-histamines.
The dosage that is Prescribed for Different Age Groups and Types Of Ailment:
Multiple factors determine the dosage of diazepam such as:
- Type of Diazepam used either pills or injectable
- The severity of the Condition
- The extent of disease and any
- Other compromised health conditions which the patient is suffering from such as compromised renal or hepatic functions.
Typically dosing should start from minimal and then can be increased till the desired effect is reached.
Diazepam Dosage for other Health-Related Concerns:
Clinician’s prescribe patients to buy Diazepam 10 mg to cure different medical ailments including controlling seizures, treating anxiety, controlling muscular spasms, etc. Different dosage is for a different type of disorder.
Dose for Treating Anxiety:
For reducing anxiety and panic disorders, the adult dosage is 2 mg in 24 hours that can be increased to 10 mg and needs to be taken up to 2 to 4 times in a day.
Dose for Alcohol Withdraw:
For curing acute alcohol withdrawal symptoms 10 milligrams of diazepam is prescribed and advised to be taken 3 to 4 times in a split manner to give the body enough time to acclimatize with the drug. On improvement of symptoms, the dosage can be reduced to 5 mg.
Dose for Treating Muscular SPASMS:
The dose of Diazepam for treating muscular spasms ranges between 2 mg to 10 mg which needs to be taken three to four times a day. Always start with a minimal dose then increase gradually till symptoms are completely cured.
Cotraindications To Diazepam:
- Allergic to the medication.
- Compromised liver or kidney.
- Sleep apnea.
- Asthma or COPD.
- Chronic alcoholics
- History of alcohol or drug abuse.
- Hallucinations and psychosis.
- Patients on other medications can have adverse drug interactions with sleeping pills such as opioids.
Adverse Effects of Diazepam:
- Judgment impairment
- Feeling lost and very low
- Feeling drowsy and sleepy
- Muscle weakness and feeling fatigued
- Hypersalivation in some patients
- Some patients complain of dryness of the mouth.
- Unexplained headaches
- Occurrence of seizures on increasing the dose
- Blurring of vision
- Loss of memory
- Yellowish discoloration of eyes
WHERE TO PROCURE DIAZEPAM:
There are multiple ways to get the drug in the current era. The most primitive way is to get the drug directly from the pharmacy but nowadays online purchases have gained immense popularity due to a large number of advantages associated with online purchases. Individuals can buy diazepam from genuine online websites such as buy sleeping pills in the UK which also offers genuine product at affordable rates. Discount offers are also introduced to facilitate the consumers and doorstep delivery of genuine products packed discreetly is an ultimate comfort that is highly comforting for an ailing individual.